Rick and Morty is undoubtedly one of the best science fiction shows ever made. It’s funny, insightful and constantly quoted by fans worldwide.
While on the surface it’s just a wacky adult cartoon, Rick and Morty has gained such a fervent following because of it’s meditations on the human condition. And because it’s just very funny. These ten quotes show both of these sides to Rick and Morty.
1. “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We’re all going to die. Come watch TV.”
The quote that encapsulates the feel of Rick and Morty better than any other. It shows a Morty smart enough to realise how futile looking for meaning in life is, but wise enough not to let him get down.
2. “Listen, Morty, I hate to break it to you but what people call “love” is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades, leaving you stranded in a failing marriage. I did it. Your parents are gonna do it. Break the cycle, Morty. Rise above. Focus on science.”
On one hand this is an off-hand quip, but it also shows how jaded Rick is. He’s literally advising his own grandson to ignore love.
3. “Weddings are basically funerals with cake.”
Just in case you had any doubt, Rick is not a fan of romance.
4. “All right, all right, cool it! I see what’s happening here. You’re both young, you’re both unsure about your place in the universe, and you both want to be Grandpa’s favourite. I can fix this. Morty, sit here. Summer, you sit here. Now, listen—I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa’s concerned, you’re both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically. Actually, l-l-let me grab my whiteboard. This has been a long time coming, anyways.”
Probably not the most insightful quote, but who hasn’t wanted to sit someone down and tell them unequivocally how unimportant they are before?
5 “Well then get your shit together, get it all together, and put it in a backpack, all your shit, so it’s together.
And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know. Take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in the shit museum. I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your shit together.”
Morty gets snarky. It’s juvenile, it’s over the top and the joke goes on to long. It’s so Rick and Morty.
6.“(on school) it’s not a place for smart people, Jerry, and I know that’s not a popular opinion, but it’s my two cents on the issue.”
One of Rick’s earliest utterances and one that tells the audience a lot about his character. He doesn’t respect societies structures. He thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. He’s not afraid to tell people what they don’t want to hear.
7. “Snuffles: Tell me, Summer, if a human was born with stumpy legs, would they breed it with another deformed human and put their children on display like the Dachshund?”
Rick and Morty doesn’t do ‘special’ episodes, but it isn’t afraid to point out uncomfortable truths. In this case that there is something inherently barbaric about dog breeding.
8. “There is no God, Summer. Gotta rip that band-aid off now you’ll thank me later.”
Part of the appeal of Rick and Morty is Rick’s intellectual honesty. He’s a cynic who thinks he sees the world for what it is without having to rely on intellectual comfort blankets.
9. Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets.
Sounds like Rick being Rick but, if you had almost godlike intelligence would you be nice? After all, it’s not like anyone has got anything to offer you.
10. “Rick, the only connection between your unquestionable intelligence and the sickness destroying your family is that everyone in your family, you included, use intelligence to justify sickness.”
Rick is brilliant, but is it better to be smart than happy? Also, isn’t it true that Rick sometimes mistakes cynicism with realism?
If you’ve got to the point of your life where you’re looking up Rick and Morty quotes, you may want to look at our favourite quotes from the Pickle Rick Episode. Or maybe you should take a look at the best Rick and Morty TShirts we could find or the coolest and weirdest Rick and Morty gifts out there.