Flowers for Algernon is a beautiful, heartbreaking, book everyone should read. Which is why it’s on our ultimate science fiction reading list.
For those of you who love a good quote, and who love science fiction, we’ve put together our top ten quotes from this great novel. You can read our review of Flowers For Algernon here.
The Ten Best Flowers for Algernon Quotes
- “Even a feeble-minded man wants to be like other men.”
- “We know the end of the maze holds death
- “They had pretended to be geniuses. But they were just ordinary men working blindly, pretending to be able to bring light into the darkness”
- “I was seeing them clearly for the first time – not gods or even heroes, but just two men worried about getting something out of their work.”
- “Strange about learning; the farther I go the more I see that I never knew even existed.”
- “I am not only a thing, but also a way of being — one of many ways — and knowing the paths I have followed and the ones left to take will help me understand what I am becoming.
- “Intelligence is one of the greatest human gifts. But all too often a search for knowledge drives out the search for love.”
- “I am afraid. Not of life, or death, or nothingness, but of wasting it as if I had never been.”
- “You don’t know what it’s like to have something happening inside you, that you can’t see and can’t control, and know it’s all slipping through your fingers.”
- “I’m like a man who’s been half-asleep all his life, trying to find out what he was like before he woke up.”